Wednesday, May 8, 2013

sewing for Senorita-ita




Not sure why I didn't think of this last week....but how cute would it have been to make mini-fiesta skirts for all the girls' dolls at Lucy's party??....be all matchy-matchy, senorita-y, ita-y.
I'm sure that's the proper term.
And I'm sure I would have stayed up till 3am too many nights sewing.
But.  Cute!
The mini-version didn't dawn on me till Lucy was invited to a birthday party for her friend and the theme was American Girl Dolls.  I noticed that her friend had worn her purple Fiesta Skirt (from Lucy's party) to school a few times, with an orange and white striped tank top.  And her mom said she loves that little skirt.   So....duh.  Doll clothes for the birthday girl!

And then because I just couldn't stop, I sewed a little outfit for Lucy's doll too.
It wasn't quite as involved as the wardrobe for Twinkles:

But I realized that I really love sewing doll clothes!  They come together so quickly and take so little fabric, it's hard not to love.

So, first I started with the fiesta skirt.  Thankfully I had about 1/4 yard of fabric leftover from the original skirt.  I sewed a couple trims to the bottom, added 1/2 inch wide elastic and done!
For the tank, I couldn't believe I had an orange and white stripey knit, similar to what her friend was wearing in real life.  Meant to be.  I sewed the shirt in three sections with a strip of velcro in the back.  And if it hadn't been such a slinky rayon knit it might look a little nicer.  But you appreciate my wonky moments, right?
Then we definitely needed accessories.  I made a miniature version of the Wallflowers using napkins, and hot-glued a hair clip to the back.

We stuck an Easter Egg Maraca in her hands and she was set!  Senorita-ita.  Ole!
Then we wrapped it up in a little box, so it felt like the boxed clothing sets at the American Girl store.
And her friend was as smiles when she opened it up and realized it matched her own skirt.  Yay!
For miss Lucy, or should I say....for her doll, Lexi (which was a gift from Grandma for her birthday ) I made another little tank and skirt.  I couldn't resist the big bow.
I surprised Lucy with the shirt (sewing it while she was sleeping)
And I asked for her input on the skirt.  She looked at the fabric and said, "hmmm.....3 gray buttons in the front."  Love her!  I was thinking the same thing.
Now Lexi's ready for her own summer party.
And now I keep thinking....maybe I should sell doll clothing patterns?
Seriously, I have so much fun making this stuff and I know you guys do too.  Would anyone be interested in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment