Wednesday, December 5, 2012

TUTORIAL: Gift Box Wreath

I love wrapping presents.
It's kind of therapeutic (and justifies those 5 rolls of IKEA wrapping paper I just had to buy?  Totally)
But I gotta admit, I'm slightly bummed when a really darling wrap-job is opened cause then the cuteness is gone.  And replaced with a fun gift, I know.  I guess we always have photos to capture the moment.
But....
Why not let it last all month?
On your door.
Or wall.
Or closet.
Wherever.
I saw this in magazine years ago (before pinterest)....probably in Martha Stewart Living? And I always meant to make it.
Today I did!  I love how 3-D it looks on our front door:
There are so many ways you can go with this.  In fact, I almost think my wreath is too "busy".   I was moments away from re-wrapping the boxes with solid colored papers till a friend knocked on the door and said, "I like your wreath!  I may have to try that..."
So we'll stick with it for this year.
But all-red gifts with white bows would be cool.  All white gifts with blue bows.  Yada, yada.
You get the idea.

Okay, grab your favorite papers and let's get wreath-wrapping.
(all papers below are from IKEA, except for the gray with trees...that one's from Target 2 years ago)
First you need a wreath base.  Use whatever you like for this.  Buy one, make one, it doesn't matter.
You really want something flat though so the boxes aren't sticking out too far.  I made mine from a cardboard box lid....Pizza boxes would be be perfect.

• Trace a large circle
• Trace or draw another smaller circle inside, like a donuthole
• Carefully cut out both circles, trying not to bend the cardboard.
You can leave the cardboard as-is but the edges are kind of jagged and un-lady like.
So I dressed mine up with felt fabric.
• Cut long strips of white felt
• Glue the first strip to the back of the wreath with a hot glue gun, wrap, and continue till the whole wreath is covered.
Ta-da.
You could use this base for so many wreaths.  Add jingle bells, pom poms, bows, ornaments, etc.
Okay. Boxes.
You can buy little jewelry ones but you might actually have some lying around your house.  I didn't realize it till I scrounged my cupboards.  Jello boxes, bandaids, etc...gather little (empty) boxes like that.  Arrange them on the wreath till you have enough boxes and you like how it looks.
Then start wrapping!  Remove one box at a time so you keep them in their proper place.  Wrap, tie with ribbons, re-arrange if needed.
Use a hot glue gun to attach each box to the wreath.
Then tie a bow or string to the top of the wreath for haning (I used braided twine) and you're done!
(Quality control Inspection)
Passed!
Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment