Sunday, October 25, 2015

First day of school: pepper linen + blue

I can't remember where I bought this fabric .  Because I have a growing pile of charcoal, dark gray, and pepper colored linen in my cabinet.  All from different sources; all looking lovely in a pile just waiting for me to sew.  I can't say no!


It's such a glorious color and weave combo.
It's like the weave itself is a pattern design.

So for Owen's first day of school, I pulled pepper gray from the beloved stash and sewed my boy some shorts. 

How is he getting so old?!
I released the KID Shorts pattern 2 summers ago....And now he looks like a teenager.
Okay.  Sort of.
He's still a goofy almost-8-year-old....who just the other day was teaching Lucy the old fart-noise-under-the-arm move.  Don't you love overhearing their conversations?  As if his methods were something new. 

And I know that KID shorts are nothing new---you see me sew them time and again.
But I guess that's the beauty of it.  I love sewing them again and again!
Check out all the options here:
http://www.danamadeit.com/2013/03/sripes-checks-and-piping-oh-my.html http://www.danamadeit.com/2014/08/kid-shorts-with-knit-fabrics.html

For these shorts I made the Flat Front, with Front Pockets, and Piping, and Back Pockets.
I was so, so tempted to use orange-red piping on the pockets.  But that seemed too expected.  Haah.  Cause I know that's what you're thinking: Orange and gray.  Can she do it any other way?
Yes!  I really branched out here....blue!
Real revolutionary.

But I totally love it!
The color pops so well against the gray.
(If you've never worked with piping, watch my detailed video HERE)

And I couldn't believe it, but Owen finally moved up a size in the shorts pattern.  He graduated from a size 6 to a size 8!  This kid is growing fast, and usually just UP not out.  But I went for the size 8 so he can wear them for longer. 

Then I put it together with a simple Tee from Target and a new pair of tennies.  And the first day of school was ready to go.

It's funny to talk about shorts and school starting, since now it's rainy/pants weather.
But I feel nostalgic about the first day and loved putting my outfits together when I was a kid.  I've gotta document these moments for my kids too.

Happy 2nd grade Owen!
We love you little dude.
You can purchase the KID Shorts pattern with the button below (read all the pattern details here).

No comments:

Post a Comment