Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Living in Texas (2)

When we moved to Texas 6 years ago, I knew it would feel a bit "country" compared to our Los Angeles neighborhood. I expected it; I welcomed it!  But what I wasn't prepared for....was Texas wildflower season!   Oh my, oh my.
Among the boots, BBQ joints, and food truck explosion, no one had told me about springtime in Texas!  There are red poppies, blue bonnets, indian paint brush, weeds that belong in a vase.  It's like a small-town fairy tale, where you get to eat brisket at the end and wear dresses with floppy sleeves.  


Dreamy.

I know I've posted about poppies and blue bonnets before (like the time the sheriff pulled me over for picking them?  Or maybe that was just for being a crazy person....)

But if you ever have a chance to visit Texas in the spring, you must.
And if want to read more about our Texas adventures, check out these posts:
Friday Night Lights
Lake LBJ
3 days at the beach
The Kite Festival
Trip to Dallas
Shopping for fabric in Texas
Weekend at the Lodge

And looking through these wildflower pictures has made me realize a few things:

1.  The color of poppies + blue bonnets are the same as the Lone Star State flag!  Simple and patriotic.  Perfect. 


2. I never shared these cute outfits I made for STYLO a couple years ago!  And I can't believe how much older the girls look already!

The skirts are both versions of the Skirt with a Sash tutorial.  And I love how cool this fabric looks in a maxi length.  


This little top is a version of the Bateau Top, with flutter sleeves that I sort of threw together.  You can see the shape of my "pattern" piece below. I love how it turned out and how soft the fabric is.

So when it came time for taking photos of the skirts, I did it like a true Texan---in a field of flowers.   Cause that's what you do during wildflower season---gather your whole family, sit in a field, and snap pics, even if you're on the side of the highway, or in a stranger's yard.  People take pictures ANYWHERE the flowers are popping up.


So we found a gorgeous field. 


Tromped around,

Shimmied and shaked
Directed traffic?
and just enjoyed the scenery.

Which leads me to point #3....

3.  There is actually a downside to the gorgeous views.
Allergies.

Yep.  Austin may not have earthquakes or hurricanes, but we have giant critters and plenty of allergens....which....I guess happens in many parts of the world.  But I never really understood seasonal allergies, till I lived her long enough to experience them myself.  Because that's what everyone says---even if you've never had allergies before, they'll creep up on you.
Ahhhh. 
Casey got tested for allergies (he's allergic to every plant, grass, and tree in Texas)
I got tested for allergies (I'm allergic to Oak and Pecan)
And even more poor Lucy has problems with Oak and other irritants in the air.  

I was about to delete this photo from my post till I noticed that IN this very picture, she's having an allergy attack.  Poor girl.  

The itchy eyes, the nose, the ears.  You want to reach down and scratch your nasal passage with a pumice stone.  Ugh.

So.  Here's the upside.
This is what I recommend to any friends who ask "what do I do about my allergies??"
And I should note, you don't have to be allergy tested to use this.  It's over-the-counter.
And it's the same things my doctor always recommends to me....and the reason I was excited when Flonase contacted me to partner with them on this post.  Because I was already using their product every day.

So.  The answer my friends is Flonase.
Yep!
Just a couple of sprays.  Every day.
And use it consistently.


In fact, consistency is the key.  The nasal spray provides relief from all those irritants (and has a really pleasant scent btw)  But it's most effective with long term use.  I used to forget to use it for days at at time, till my doctor gave me the good idea to keep it near my car keys or something that I have to reach for every day.  And now I never forget.

It's kind of funny when Casey, Lucy, and I all do our ritual sprays in unison each morning.  But hey, a family that Flonase's together? 
...can enjoy the flowers together!
And spend a little more time doing this.

And maybe this.
Which, people did warn me about....you know, that awesome 2 year-old stage.....which unfortunately does not come with Toddler-spray relief. 
Here's to a headache-free Spring my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment