Thursday, January 17, 2013

Stitch Savvy

Fun mail day this week!
I got a copy of the new Stitch Savvy book by Deborah Moebes of Whipstitch.
Then I plopped down on the couch and absorbed the pretty pages.  Isn't that best way to look at sewing books?  Like a box of dark chocolates you just can't put down?

Stitch Savvy is the follow-up book to Deborah's first book Stitch by Stitch--which teaches you to sew from a very beginner level.  This new book is geared toward beginners and intermediate sewers and has a good variety of simple and complex projects.  And I love how it's laid out.
And I love the book's concept: projects and skills that build on one another so you're ready for the next, more challenging project.  

The book has five categories: Home Decor, Patchwork & Quilting, Bags, Sewing for children, and Clothing.  Then within each section are 5 projects with a skill-level of 1-5.  So if you're a beginner and you feel intimidated by making a woman's jacket, just start with all the #1 projects in the book and then move on to all the #2 level projects.
Great idea!
Deborah reviews all the basics first.  She even has a few quick refresher projects for you to try out (and plenty of clever writing to go along. I love her writing style).
Then she jumps right into the projects.

I'm sure we've all wanted to make an ottoman cover at some point?
YES!
A pair of woman's pants WITH a zipper in front and fitted in the back?
Very impressive.
I love this cool Wherever Jacket (and love the model too.  Can I have her hair?)
There are cute kid clothes,
Cute home decor and pretty pictures.  Whenever I flip through a sewing book I mostly love looking at the photos and how it was all designed.
But one thing I really love is that Deborah doesn't leave out any details.  She has great tips along the way and even has a section at the end of the projects called "Try This Too" where she shows variations and other ideas on the project.  Such a neat feature!

 And there's a CD in the back with all the printable pattern pieces for 13 of the 25 projects. 
Ah. My Deborah Moebes collection is now complete (for the moment....I'm sure there'll be more in the future)
Would you like to try out Stitch Savvy?
Today we're giving away one copy!
GIVEAWAY RULES:
• Leave a comment, that’s it.
• Only one entry per person.
• Open to US and Canadian readers
• ONE winner will be picked via random.org
• Giveaway ends, Friday 1/18/13 at 11pm (Central Time).
Winners will be announced next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment