Like many of you, I couldn't resist the sweet Fox sweater from Target this past Fall. But since I often sew with bright solid colors, Owen didn't have anything in neutral tones to go along. Time to sew!..something, foxy? or plaid. Or how bout the Plaidtastic Mr. Fox?
Theses aren't exactly "plaid" but I added some simple pockets to the back, cutting them on the bias so the fabric looks pretty sweet!
It's easy to feel overwhelmed the first time around, when you set out to sew pants with all the bells, whistles, and little details. But when you start at the Basics....before you know it, you're sewing shorts with a flat front, front pockets, back pockets....what next? Faux fly? Cargos? And it all feels so normal. And you've got totally professional shorts to show for it.
Cause in Texas, summer is not far off.
Here's what you do....
KID Pants tutorial and pattern.
• For shorts see the KID Shorts tutorial
• I used the Flat Front option
• I added Front Pockets
• I also chose to line the shorts since the cotton fabric was a bit thin. I basically cut additional muslin pieces and serged (or you can baste/sew) each muslin piece to each plaid piece before sewing anything together.
• Most cutting mats have a 45 degree angle to help you cut on the diagonal
• If it's too complicated to figure out the exact angle, just cut a piece of paper and use it as your pocket pattern, placing it on your fabric and cutting where you'd like (above photo)
• Cut two pockets appx 5 x 5 1/2 inches (for this pattern)....or cut them any size/shape you want! You can even angle the pockets into a V at the bottom.
When the pockets are in place, sew your pants/shorts according the KID Pants tutorial and....
A sweet pair of shorts!
It sounds so small town but often we find ourselves playing with rocks, organizing rocks, trying to skip rocks (and then just tossing them in the water).
Celebrate the BOY, a series hosted by me and Made by Rae.
Here's what we've done so far:
DAY 1: Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee • Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup
DAY 2: Dana: Pants Roundup • Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie
DAY 3: Dana: KID Pants with Back Pockets
• And check out the Archives for additional projects