Friday, March 8, 2013

some like it Chewie, some like it Hoth




Well, the Star Wars love isn't going away any time soon.  In fact the Force is only getting stronger.   Owen pulls out his Jedi robe daily (because one must look like a Jedi to jump and feel like a Jedi on the trampoline). 
So I've had a series of Star Wars shirts in-mind to share for Celebrate the BOY.  And I started with Chewbacca, beloved Wookie and best side-kick ever?  Totally!

For a little inspiration I Google imaged "Chewbacca art" and many cool images popped up:
Then I peeked at a project I pinned a year ago by Draw Pilgrim...a sweet Chewie softie toy (free pattern download).  Isn't he delightful?!  And THEN I was overjoyed when I looked in the CTB Flickr group last night....and Laura from Behind the Hedgegrow had made her own version! with super furry cool fabric.
Wookie is in the air.
So I channeled the love and came up with my own version.  The Chewie Shirt:
And I totally love it!  It's weird, soft, and the best part is....Owen really, really loves it too.  Kid endorsement is the best compliment.

I originally wanted to use crazy fur like Laura did above.  But I worried that on a shirt, it might not wear or wash well so I went with a super soft terry-cloth minky from Joann Fabrics....the same type of fabric used for Owen's House Robe the other day:
 Then I grabbed felt scraps and got busy:
You're basically sewing the Chewie head like a softie toy but without the stuffing.  I used simple cotton fabric for the back of the head so he wouldn't be too poofy on the shirt.  And if you were making it with knit fabric you could leave the edges raw without a backing.  But this fabric frays like crazy, so I needed to seal all the edges of his head.  So....
Be careful as you sew that you're ONLY sewing Chewie to the front of the shirt!  Just work slowly and pull the back of the shirt away as you go. And you're done!
The shirt timing was perfect for pajama day at school on Thursday, since he of course wanted to wear his Star Wars pjs (rather than the Big Stick jammies).
So we threw on the Chewbacca shirt, Star Wars Jammie pants, I couldn't resist this favorite pair of Star Wars undies,
and when he put on his backpack I just started laughing.  It honestly never dawned on me that the jammies and backpack were the same fabric!...which is funny since the fabric is from Joanns and the backpack is Old Navy.

Just like that he was totally geeked out.
With, yes, his lightsaber in his backpack for a playdate after school.
Have a great weekend!  Come back on Monday for one more Celebrate the BOY prjoect. 
And go see what Rae's up to today...
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is part of Celebrate the BOY, a series hosted by me and Made by Rae.
Here’s what we’ve done so far:
DAY 1: Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee • Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup
DAY 2: Dana: Pants Roundup • Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie
DAY 3: Dana: KID Pants with Back Pockets • Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie
DAY 4: Dana: 13 DIY Fabrics • Rae: Show your Stripes Turtleneck
DAY 5: Dana: Favorite T-shirt Buddies • Rae: Stripes Rule Roundup and Celebration Garland
DAY 6: Dana: Big Stick Pjs • Rae: Fox Tee
DAY 7: Dana: Beach Robe to Cozy House RobeYES to Bold Prints and Tuxedo Stripe Pants
DAY 8: Dana: We be Jammin roundup • Rae: City Pants
DAY 9: Dana: Stripes, Checks, and Piping, oh my • Rae: Mustache roundup and Tic Tac Toe Shirt + Piping how-to

• Keep adding your own BOY projects to the CTB Flickr Group!
• And check out the Archives for additional projects

No comments:

Post a Comment