Wednesday, February 11, 2015

RECIPE: Crockpot Beef Stew




I can never decide which one I like more: Pot Roast or Beef Stew?
They both make me happy....and my family happy.
And all that good stuff.
Cause they're both full of good stuff!
I guess beef stew is like pot roast in a bowl, with a little bit of kick (it's that tomato paste, I tell ya).  And it's super easy to make!---well, they're both easy to make.
But this is like really, really easy to make.
And if you're not a meat person....just omit the beef and turn it into vegetable stew. Yum!
So here you go.

I've got dinner planned for you.


CROCKPOT---SLOW-COOKER  BEEF STEW

2-3 lbs of beef chuck
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
3 Tbl balsamic vinegar
2 Tbl flour
3 cups water

6 small white potatoes
1 yellow onion
4-5 carrots
salt + pepper

• In a crockpot (or slow cooker) mix together the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, flour, and water. 
• Trim excess fat from the beef and cut it into 1 or 1 1/2 inch cubes.  Add to the crockpot.
• Scrub and clean the potatoes and carrots.  I prefer to leave the skins on both but you can peel them if desired.  Cut them both into bite size pieces---I cut each potato into 4ths.  Add them to the crockpot.
• Peel and cut the onion into large chunks and add to the crockpot.
• Mix it all together, place the lid on the pot, and let the slow cooker do it's magic!

Cook on high heat for about 5 hours, or low for 8 hours.
Salt and pepper to desired taste.
And of course, serve with SWEET CORN BREAD.  Oh yum.

I'll try not to play favorites here....but maybe stew is just a vehicle for making cornbread (with melty butter and honey).
That might be the answer to life.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment