Monday, October 10, 2016

Ask Dana: Using Felt Fabric

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION:
Hi Dana!
I was wondering if you could share where you get your felt? We have such a pitiful selection of fabric stores in my area. I've ordered some from Magic Cabin, but it only comes in rather small pieces/sheets. Then I'll check a shi-shi site like Purl Soho and it's ridiculously expensive. The felt of your adorable cookies looks so nice- I'd love to know where you got it, since I know you're a logical human being who wouldn't spend $60/yard on felt.

Thanks!
Nat

ANSWER:
Thank you for finding me logical :). I definitely could never spend $60/yard on felt. But I can understand where you're coming from. So here's my not-so-secret, secret to buying felt....I get most of it at good old Joann Fabrics! But I don't buy the cheap pre-cut squares. I purchase the stuff sold by the yard on bolts. And the color selection varies from Joanns to Joanns, so larger stores will have a better color selection.
And I love questions like these because it's just the thing I cover in detail in my new book!
Here's a snippet of info to help you out...

BUYING FELT
Felt comes in roughly three categories:

* Cheap Acrylic , sold by the yard or in pre-cut squares at most craft and fabric stores. These are usually lower quality, some square-cuts are thin, and come in limited colors (mostly bright or simple pastels)
* 100% Wool. This is the finest wool possible. However, it can be pricey (about $18/yard). It's carried in some fabric shops, sold by the yard, and can be found in online shops, such as Wool Felt Central. They have every shade imaginable!! It's lovely
* Blended Wool. This is my favorite. It's a blend of 100% wool and synthetic fibers of Polyester or Acrylic. The wool feels much nicer than the cheapy squares and costs about 1/2 the price as 100% wool, about $7-8/yard. Fabric shops such as Joanns carry some interesting jewel shades, even some Heathers which give the felt a richer look. They're sold by the yard and are definitely worth the extra cost (which can be countered with a 40% off coupon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment