Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Building a new Home: Groundbreaking Party

Ever think you'd see a picture of a porta-potty on MADE?  I tried to make it look as pretty as possible.  And after posting about our new home adventure last month, we've made some progress. We've broken ground! Woohoo!
The neighbors thought I was funny when I started snapping photos of the bathroom...and the lovely orange construction fence.  But they were all so exciting!  They were SIGNS!  Signs of something, anything happening.  Porta potty one day; construction workers the next, right?
My good friend Katherine said we should definitely have a groundbreaking party to celebrate the fun.  YES!  So I quickly purchased cheap little shovels, spray-painted them gold, and just as I had hoped....workers were there the next day!
First this showed up and plowed down anything in it's path.
(minus the important trees.  We're keeping those)
Then this guy showed up to haul it all away.  It was so refreshing to see the site cleared...and easier to visualize a home sitting right in the middle.
A few days later....lumber!, the beginnings of a foundation frame, and some goofy kids.
Lucy and Owen love visiting the lot which makes me happy because I know they'll love having a backyard of land to explore.  They're great at creating fun from the simplest anything.  And I think Owen's spent a couple hours at the lot just throwing dirt clods.  Pure boy.

So a few weeks ago, we grabbed our shovels and invited our friends over to the lot for a small groundbreaking celebration.
And there you go!  Hooray!  The house is happening.
Might be fun to frame this photo and put it somewhere in the house to remember how tiny these kids were when we started this project: Lucy 7, Owen, 5, and Clara 14 months.
The token dirt toss.
And Cheers! in cheap cups,
with cheap pizza to go along.  Yay!  Just how the kids like it.  Pizza Pizza.  Drink Drink.
Thanks friends for coming to celebrate!
Hopefully this is poured concrete soon.
And just a little peek at what's going on inside.  I'm looking for a mirror for the downstairs bathroom.  You guys were SUPER helpful on my last post with input on fireplaces, chandeliers, and decks. THANK YOU.  I've actually decided to go with Gas and made other adjustments from your recommends.   

So here's what I'm looking at.  I'm really loving this and this....and the Abby mirror comes in way too many cute colors.  How could I ever pick just one??
Or to save money, maybe I'll just make my own white frame with cool tiles on the inside?  Check out most of these on my Tile Board.
Any cool mirrors you've come across?....something that'll fit in a beach cottage type bathroom?
Thanks friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment