Friday, April 27, 2012

the reason I haven't been sewing...

is that I've been busy sewing.
What I mean to say is....
the reason I haven't been sharing many sewing projects on the blog is that I'm currently working on book #2.  Yay!  And, yay.  While the first book, Fabrics A to Z, is a wonderful resource guide this book is all project-based.  I'm totally excited about it.  And I'm totally exhausted too.

Book writing is a funny thing because it takes so long for the whole process to pan out.  This book doesn't out till August of 2013 but now is when I need to complete the 25 projects and photograph the how-to-steps as I sew.   By June I start working on the writing part and by October all the beauty shots, writing, and everything else is officially due.  I'm working on this book as both the writer/creator and photographer, which is really cool and creatively exciting.  But it's running me thin.

If you peek into my current brain....it's 95% absorbed with these projects and photography.  It's what I think about, stew over, work on when the kids are at school and Clara is sleeping, and think about more when they go to bed.  It's hard to turn the thoughts off at night.  I'm constantly rethinking and second-guessing....only because I want the book to be the best it can be.  Do all the colors and fabrics in the book work together?  Are the photographs well lit?  Sharp enough?  Do the pattern sizes fit?  Should I make another version of that project so people have options?  Have I created too many options for the project and people will feel overwhelmed? And really?  Really? Am I running to Joanns one. more. time?  

This is my current state of being.
 Creatively saturated.

And yet, I have no sewing projects to show for it, yet.
So until to June comes around (and hopefully I've stayed on schedule.  My editor hopes that too) the blog may be less about the tutorials and more about the simple crafts, recipes, and of course....baby. I'm sure you won't mind that.


So today, if you're looking for a little sewing inspiration, I turn to Elsie Marley
Her Kids Clothes Week Challenge is bursting with cool things.  Seriously.  I can't believe the stuff you guys are making!  Here are 9 favorites:

And since many of you have emailed and left comments about this, just one more tidbit to share....
Yes! 
We made it in Family Fun Magazine!  
Check out Lucy's doily heart shirt (a variation on their adoily-able t-shirt)
I showed Lucy the page and I'm not sure she realized that her picture was in a magazine that total strangers could purchase (rather than a photo book we have at home with family photos, etc).  She thought it was pretty fun though.   What kid doesn't like seeing photos of themselves?   And it's been fun for me to hear from you guys about it.  Even Lucy's little cousin in Arizona was flipping through the magazine and said, "Mom, is that Lucy?"
So thanks Family Fun magazine for making our week!

Okay, have a great weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment