Wednesday, August 15, 2012

just making 40 yards of bias tape over here

Often I use store-bought bias tape for projects because it's fast, easy, and perfect when I feel lazy. But really the color selection is pretty limited. And I needed (wanted) an icy blue tape for a baby gift. So I pulled out my tiny bias tape maker and went a little crazy.
Of course every time I do that I question whether driving to the store and paying for bias tape is any faster. This stuff really comes together quickly.
If you've never made bias tape check out my previous two tutorials: Understanding and Making Bias Tape and How to Sew on Bias Tape


This time around I made some 1/2 inch wide tape and went even smaller....1/4 inch wide double-fold tape.
Sometimes I can't decide if I should simply leave the tape single-fold? But I really use double-fold more often so I ironed those 13 yards on up. I'm always surprised at how many yards I can make....and then I frown at paying $3 for only 3 yards of the cheap store stuff.
Bias Tape!
1/4 inch and 1/2 inch.
(just had to try this again. I miss my old header...)
I also have a tutorial outlining how to use the Simplicity Bias Tape maker (which is a fun machine that folds and irons the tape for you). But I'm having second thoughts.
After making bias tape many, many times I've concluded this....

I'm not one for fancy machines.

I prefer a paint brush to my paint gun. I'd rather cut out a simple freezer paper design than get out a Silhouette cutter. Sometimes it's just easier to use minimal tools and your own hands.
So.
While I do like the Simplicity cutter (works great and wonderful), I really prefer using my old Clover bias tape makers. They're cheap and available at most fabric shops (the larger 2 inch tip I purchased online). Just remember when purchasing that if you're making double-fold tape, the tip size should be double the size you'd like to make. For instance.... a 1-inch tip will make 1/2 inch wide double-fold tape (the size I use for most projects).
I love making extra tape so I have options on-hand when a project comes up.
And bias tape also makes a great gift for sewing friends!
To dress up your tape, cut a cute board from heavy cardstock. Or cut some paper and glue it to the old boards from your store-bought stuff (I always save mine).
Wind it on up.
Wouldn't you love to receive that in the mail?

Okay.
I'm off to use my bias tape. Yards and yards of it.
Unless it's being used for this (which often it is, with two droids in-tow).
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment