Monday, September 24, 2012

Impromptu sewing: red lace-y dress

Yesterday Lucy reminded me that she needed to wear red to school today, for Clifford the big red dog's 50th birthday!

She didn't have anything red in her closet.
In fact I only have one red shirt.
And I only had 2 red fabrics in my sewing stash.   Weird.  I really do love the color.
So at 4pm I got busy....cause in the back of my mind I've had this image of a red stretch lace dress just waiting to be sewn.  I bought the above fabric 2 or 3 years ago at M&L Fabrics (maybe?) and then this summer Target had the very dress I was imagining! but it was too short for me and too large for Lucy (photo further below).  So this dress needed to happen.  I love it when a fabric finds it fate....or destiny?
I sorta made things up as I went (yea. constantly crossing my fingers with each section I sewed and cheering when it worked!)  I knew the lace needed a lining so I also found a dark red/mauve knit in the my stash. Then I used an existing dress to measure the bodice and arm holes.  I added a zipper in the back though it didn't really one....I just liked the stylized touch.  And I really wanted to an exposed zipper but was too tired to figure it out.  Next time. 

I made the skirt a bit larger than than the bodice and sewed all three together with elastic in the middle to give it a bit of stretch.  Sort of worked but something I need to play with and improve.

I've always wanted to make ruched sleeves.  So I looked at one of my own shirts to figure out the shape, cut them from a single layer of the lace (no lining), sewed some elastic thread down the middle and Hooray!  I kinda can't believe they worked.  Yay!  A cute red dress!  She and I both loved it.  In the morning I added a keychain ring to the zipper back for more bling.
And then I couldn't stop singing this song all, night, long.
 We even gave the dress the playground test. 
And compared it to the Target version (left photo via instagram @danamadeit)
Ready for Clifford Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment