Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Halloween Countdown

Every October 1st I have the same conversation....
Me: Ah man.
It's almost Halloween.
I sooooo don't want to make the kids costumes this year.

Casey: (silence) 
(rolling eyes?)
Me: Should I just buy their costumes?
Something cheap, and easy?

Casey: (silence)
(Continues watching Monday night football...or was it Thursday?  or Sunday?  How many blasted nights is that thing on?)

Me: I should probably just make them.
Right?
Yea, I guess I should.
I really don't want to.
But I'll be glad that I did. 
Okay, yea. I'll make them. 
I don't know what they're going to be though.....something.

Casey:  What?
Costumes?  Yea, sure sounds great.

Annnnnd, scene.
Then just replay this same dialogue next year too.

WHEN, will I stop complaining about making Halloween costumes?!
It's like exercising.  No motivation to start.  But once I'm 1/2 way through I'm pumped and excited to keep going.  I guess the problem is that I never know what they're going to be until the very last minute, since I want the costumes to be something they're currently really into. 

3 years ago was Dr. Seuss.  Sam I Am and The Cat in the Hat:
2 years ago, Alice in Wonderland:
Last year, the Austin Bats:
This year?  No clue.
The kids have said things like....I want to be a watermelon, Darth Vader, Mace Windu (anyone who knows that character deserves cookies).....Brave?  A cherry? 
What?
I may have one idea brewing but I gotta see if they're into it.
And this may be the last year for ensemble costumes since they're old enough to have opinions on the matter.

Hmmm.
Well.
In other Halloweeny matters.  I went crazy last year with the decor (5 tutorials on it HERE).
Two of those projects are part of the HGTV Halloween countdown!  So if you want a daily project to pop-in your inbox, sign-up here.
Need a spider web for your door?
 Or popsicle stick puzzles for the kiddos?
How about dinner?
If you've already bought Halloween candy and are trying to resist that urge to chomp...just do it.
It's the perfect side dish:
Okay, back to those Halloween costumes.
I'm open to any ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment